Waypoints Defined

The meaningful points along life's way.


Direct me in the path of your commands, for there I find delight. Psalm 119:35

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Sunrise at Angkor Wat

5 a.m.  My alarm goes off and a song is already playing in my mind.

" I know my Redeemer lives
I know my Redeemer lives
All of creation testifies
This life within me cries
I know my Redeemer lives"*

Fifty minutes later we are meeting our tuk tuk driver outside our Siem Reap hotel in the early morning darkness. We've heard watching the sunrise at Angkor Wat is worth the effort. 





Cambodia has a very interesting history. At the turn of the fourteenth century, Angkor Wat, one the worlds wonders, was the largest city. The temple itself was built in the twelfth century and was Hindu before turning Buddhist.  Surrounded by a wide moat, there are 4 walls and 3 levels with numerous towers. Interestingly, temples like this aren't built for the purpose of gathering to worship but rather for housing a deity. It becomes a home for gods. 






There are about 45 other ancient temples around Angkor Wat open for touring. We toured one called Ta Prohm which is overgrown with jungle and trees. 





From the bottomest bottom of my heart, I am thankful my Redeemer lives. I follow a living God, the One true God who does not live in a temple built by man. Yet He humbles Himself to come live in the stable of my heart. That messy place of my life which desperately needs a Savior, a Lord and King. 


"He lives
To take away my shame
And He lives
Forever I'll proclaim
That the payment for my sins
Was the precious life He gave
But now He's alive and
There's an empty
Grave!"*



*written and sung by NICOLE C. MULLINS

1 comment:

  1. Yes, we worship a true God through Christ - those are just man made idols - building of foolishness. Thank you for sharing Dave and Cynthia - God Bless in Christs Name - RIC

    ReplyDelete